External Communication Specialist Job Description
Patomak seeks a highly motivated professional to fill the External Communication Specialist position in our Washington, D.C. office. The individual plays an integral role in supporting the success of the company by providing a variety of communication, media relations, and public affairs services to our senior executives. The successful candidate will thrive in a team environment, exercise discretion and diplomacy in all interactions, remain flexible and proactive, and anticipate and manage challenges.
The External Communication Specialist will manage and promote Patomak’s brand and executives, and provide media relations assistance for Patomak’s senior executives by preparing them for interviews, speeches and interactions with the press as well as public appearances. This position will also manage Patomak’s social media presence.
A successful communication specialist has exceptional public speaking and writing skills, is a self-starter, able to work autonomously, and works well in teams. An external communication specialist is expected to be a strategic thinker with meticulous attention to detail, working well under pressure, and meeting deadlines.
Candidates should have excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to multitask and adapt in a fast-paced environment. They should be comfortable working with C-suite executives, making cold calls, and dealing with diverse audiences. Candidates should also be innovative, organized, and self-motivated with a keen interest in driving messages to key internal and external role-players.
- Exceptional compensation and excellent work culture.
- Growing, profitable company.
- Broad exposure and learning opportunities.
- Professional team of coworkers who are experts in their specialties.
- Engagement with senior executives from across the financial service industry.
Overview of the Duties:
- Implement communication strategies and plans that include media and industry outreach and social media content creation.
- Research and write media releases, remarks, articles, infographics, blogs, and newsletters for print and online audiences.
- Acquire and maintain a detailed knowledge of the company’s policies, principles, and strategies, and keep up to date with relevant developments.
- Arrange and coordinate media interviews and plan media-related events and appearances.
- Prepare executives for media interviews and appearances.
- Coordinate responses to media and public queries.
- Develop talking points for use in interviews and appearances.
- Coordinate public appearance, prepare executives for those appearances.
- Facilitate the resolution of disputes with external stakeholders.
- Adhere to the company’s style guide, ensuring that we produce a high-quality and error-free copy.
- Work with key internal stakeholders to brainstorm content ideas, in line with the company’s strategy and in support of various brand initiatives.
- Support and evaluate results of communication campaigns with the team.
- Build and maintain relationships with journalists and key external role-players.
- Maintain media contact and query data.
- Monitor media coverage and social media related to the company and advise senior staff.
- Maintain media lists.
Skills and Desired Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in communication, English, journalism, public relations, or a related field (essential).
- A minimum of five years of experience in public affairs or media relations, ideally in a large organization or public relations firm in financial services (essential).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Works well under pressure and meets tight deadlines.
- Highly computer literate with capability in email, MS Office, and related business and communication tools.
- Content writing experience for all media platforms.
- Proven social media and networking expertise.
- Strategic and creative mindset.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- A portfolio of work available for review.
- PRSA or IABC certification (or equivalent) or advanced degree in related field is a plus.