Patomak Global Partners provides extensive diligence reviews for potential financial sector and technology investments, with a focus on competitive dynamics, growth opportunities, regulatory considerations, operational challenges, and geopolitical risks.
Senior-Level Advice on Financial Industry Trends
Our experts provide early insights and tailored information about financial regulation trends in the United States, Asia, and Europe. The team uses its extensive experience and expertise to help clients assess critical industry developments and make timely, effective business decisions.
We provide targeted advice for executives on challenges and opportunities posed by new technologies and related policy trends. The team guides clients in developing business strategies in response to new regulations and market developments.
U.S. – China Tensions
We provide unparalleled insights on risks and opportunities created by U.S. – China policy trends, including advice on the potential impacts of legislation, economic sanctions, and export controls.
We possess deep knowledge in this evolving area, making us uniquely suited to assist executives in scenario and contingency planning, including assessments of how Chinese policy responses to U.S. government actions could impact investments and business activities.
Cross-Border Growth & CFIUS Reviews
Patomak provides detailed guidance on CFIUS risks and geopolitical tensions associated with cross-border transactions and joint ventures.
The team advises on global business expansion strategies, including strategic advice on governance, licensing, operations, and vendor selection.
New Products & Financial Technology
Patomak experts guide executives in leveraging new financial technologies to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of business activities, expand capabilities, and win in new markets.
The team assists business leaders in developing and launching new financial products and services by anticipating regulatory issues, foreseeing compliance concerns, and identifying risks early in the business cycle. Patomak experts also advise financial innovators in building partnerships, maximizing strategic opportunities, and navigating regulatory challenges.
Strategic Communications & Issue Positioning
Patomak’s team consists of communications and public affairs professionals who expertly craft comment letters, opinion articles, and white papers to inform the public debate on critical issues.
The team possesses experience in crisis communications support, which includes strategic planning, monitoring, rapid response, and stakeholder engagement, among others.
Examples of the Patomak Global Partners’ strategy and advisory engagement include:
- Developed strategic guidance for private equity funds on potential investments in digital asset companies, including assessments of BSA/AML compliance and cryptocurrency custody issues.
- Performed due diligence for venture capital and private equity funds by identifying risks and opportunities related to deals involving in consumer lending, payments, and back-office financial technology firms.
- Advised global companies on CFIUS considerations related to potential U.S. investments in sensitive industries, including deals involving biotechnology, cloud computing, and telecommunications companies.
- Presented on cryptocurrency market structure and decentralized finance trends to senior executives at a major investment management company, as well as to a large U.S. retailer.
- Provided weekly briefings to global financial firm executives on U.S. and European financial regulation developments, covering the banking, consumer finance, insurance, and securities policy trends.
- Advised on business strategy, regulatory, and reputational risks related to major IPOs and SPAC transactions, as well as mergers and tender offers.
- Developed strategic insights for large financial firms on U.S. and European ESG issues, including assessments of the potential business impacts of ESG policy trends.
- Provided briefings on corporate governance issues to executives at a leading U.S. credit rating agency.
- Provided major funds and conglomerates strategic advice on how to restructure operations in response to U.S.-China de-risking trends, including analyzing the business impact of potential economic sanctions.
- Advised U.S. private equity and venture capital funds on the potential political risks and connectivity with sensitive persons posed by potential investments in biotech firms and technology companies.
- Conducted scenario and contingency planning to assess the risks to a private equity firm’s portfolio investments posed by various escalatory scenarios associated with certain electoral outcomes and potential Taiwan-related tensions, including likely associated economic sanctions and export controls.
- Advised a U.S. venture capital fund on CFIUS risks and reputational risks related to potential technology company investments in Asia.
- Advised a non-U.S. fintech company executives on formulating U.S. business expansion strategies, including overseeing bank partnership negotiations.
- Advised large global companies on CFIUS risks associated with overseas growth in sensitive industries.
- Advised a large U.S. fintech company on strategic considerations regarding new product offerings and business expansions in Hong Kong and Singapore.
Assisted an ETF sponsor in navigating the SEC product-approval process by providing expert advice regarding issue positioning and the development of related materials.
Advised a large U.S. retailer on business strategies related to cryptocurrency, including presentations to senior executives.
Produced a study on cloud computing for a financial market infrastructure, focusing on assessing potential use cases and associated risks.
Advised a stablecoin project on its digital asset distribution strategy, including advising on the project white paper and potential regulatory risks associated with the project’s structure.
- Prepared major financial services company executives for Congressional testimony and meetings with senior regulators.
- Advised executives at a self-regulatory organization on key strategic decisions and issue positioning.
- Assisted a leading blockchain industry trade association in developing regulatory comment letters and white papers on ransomware trends.
- Supported a trade association’s drafting and targeted placement of opinion articles on key financial regulatory issues.